|My tatty and trusty jug.|
Modern Wastrel, go tomorrow and purchase a jug and scales and position them at the front of your cupboard. You already have a jug like that? Well stop using it to microwave beans and restore its dignity (you'll never get rid of the orange glow, mind).
Here are some of my magic numbers, memorised to help me cope with the metric problem:
- 400ml = a whole adult meal dished up. 200ml for One Weaned Infant.
- 100ml by volume = rolled porridge oats for one (same for the child!). 200ml of milk.
- 100g = uncooked pasta for one (less with cheese sauce).
- 75ml by volume = uncooked rice for one, twice as much water to steam.
- 100ml = the exact volume of both of my ladles. They are different shapes. Also, for breeders, the volume of one of those little Tommee Tippee food pots, up to the opaque line.
- 100g = enough meat for one adult.
- 200ml / half a tin = enough cooked chick peas, lentils, etc. for one adult.
- 1 Brussels sprout = more than enough for anyone.
One Mean Housewife, with pipette and burette, measures out tomorrow's watery gruel and pease pudding.